Monday, October 12, 2009

Which One is The Groom?

We always hear about the bride's gown...
"Did she find the gown?"
"She will just know it's the one."
"The perfect dress is out there."

But rarely do I hear about grooms endlessly searching for their tux/suit/khaki pants. Do grooms spend weekends with friends & family, finding the perfect thing to wear on the big day? Even though the groom might not fret over his wardrobe choice, he should stand out against the sea of other good looking men: groomsmen, ushers, dads & grandpas.

I was searching The Knot for some tips on making the groom stand out, and here is what I found. You can see the whole article here.

Alternative Tux Wearing a subtly different jacket from those of your groomsmen is a surefire way to make your mark.

A Fancier Flower A unique boutonniere, a "mini-corsage" worn on the jacket lapel, is the easiest way to help guests single you out.

The Telltale Tie Boost your "all about me" factor by wearing a different colored tie or bow tie than the gang.

Variety in the Vest Pick a vest that's a different color from that of your groomsmen.

[editor's note - this was originally posted on April 1st, 2008]

[images via The Knot]

saundra, event engineer Apr 2, 2008, 9:56:00 AM

This post is so funny because I just had a groom who has been SEARCHING for a tux to purchase call me on Saturday all excited! HE FOUND ONE!

I was like, "I was pretty sure you'd get one...and not show up in shorts". Apparently, he wasn't so sure!

But it was just like a bride calling me that she found the perfect dress!!

aletha @ pearls events Apr 2, 2008, 1:34:00 PM

Saundra--that's awesome!

Melissa DiStefano Apr 2, 2008, 4:38:00 PM

Great post!!! I love it!

karen Apr 3, 2008, 9:17:00 AM

All the boys in my june b&w wedding (including one male bridesmaid) will be wearing 3-button suits we got for a steal at S&K here in gr. They're black with a textured black stripe--kinda hard to describe but very modern. The FI is taking it up a notch with a Calvin Klein 3-button. HOT. No one in our wedding party will be wearing bouts or corsages--perhaps not even the groom, though we're still discussing that. He can always further set himself apart with a white or platinum tie. thanks for the post!

Vanessa Oct 12, 2009, 2:56:00 PM

My groom to be wants to wear a grey suit to 'be different' - not sure how different it actually is but it does show that men want to distinguish themselves from the masses on the big day.

KrisD Mauga Oct 12, 2009, 4:08:00 PM

I love that you posted this! We (photogs) usually focus on the bride and her moment of getting ready and all the details of dress, shoes, accessories. I make a point to do the same with the groom when I shoot them- The groom has accessories too and they are special too!

landlocked bride Oct 12, 2009, 5:36:00 PM

All of my guys will be wearing tan/khaki colored suits. The groomsmen will wear orange argyle socks and ties, and my fiance will wear red argyle socks and a red tie.

Picasso Perfect Photography Oct 19, 2009, 5:43:00 PM