Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Quick Fix | The Ugly Hanger

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have caught this last week, but the more I looked at photographer's blogs, the more they surfaced - ugly hangers.

Ooh, how I love the dress shot - a perfectly pressed gown, all ready for the bride to slip into. There's one little detail I didn't think of on my wedding day. Yep, I learned the hard way - my own wedding gown is up there in the lineup. Love the dress, love the shot, but loathe the hanger. It's the cheap plastic hanger with the size sticker. What was I thinking?

I didn't think to change the plastic hanger to a wooden hanger. Oh no, why would I do that? Three words - The Dress Shot. I recently added an Ikea wooden hanger to my emergency kit. I realize it's not the end of the world, but wouldn't any one of those photos look better with an equally eye-pleasing hanger? Yes.

[The photos above are by some of my absolute favorite photographers in the country. But I'm not naming-names on this one...]

Kristin @ bridal buzz May 5, 2009, 8:31:00 AM

Such a great idea to include a nice hanger in your kit. I'm pretty sure my dress was photographed on a dry cleaner's hanger... It said something like "we love our customers!". lol

It's not something my photographer ever mentioned, so I didn't know to bring a nicer hanger!

jessica lynn May 5, 2009, 8:39:00 AM

omg. i could not agree with you more. i brought a pretty hanger for my dress for the photog to use....but she didnt. she photographed my dress hanging in the kitchenette of the hotel room. yeah. boo to that.

Tami @ September's Bride May 5, 2009, 8:51:00 AM

Totally agree!!!

Regina White May 5, 2009, 9:02:00 AM

So true! You totally nailed it on how ugly they are and when you spend that much money on such a beautiful dress spending a little more for that perfect dress shot could be crucial. Love your idea on having an emergency back up!

Side Note: I think I just saw that same dress in the middle on a blog last week. I can't believe she did that. lol =) she is phenom.

Aletha | Pearls Events May 5, 2009, 9:02:00 AM

Jessica - I asked my photog to Photoshop out (at least!) the size sticker and that didn't happen either. Boo to that!

Amy Carroll May 5, 2009, 9:36:00 AM

FABULOUS post Aletha!! I couldn't agree more. I may have to add a cute hanger to my arsenal for weddings... ;)

Chatterberries May 5, 2009, 10:58:00 AM

I agree also! But I think what's more important is the wedding gown, they all look great!

Christina May 5, 2009, 12:01:00 PM

Great tip!

Genevieve McKeiver Photography May 5, 2009, 12:44:00 PM

I was just talking about that this past weekend at a wedding I helped shoot. The ugly plastic hanger. A small detail that gets overlooked so many times, but makes such a difference in the photo. I'm adding one to my "must bring" list. Great post!

Michelle@Memorable Events May 5, 2009, 12:51:00 PM

I think you should go get stock in wooden hangers because there are going to be a lot sold after this post! :)

Aletha | Pearls Events May 5, 2009, 12:56:00 PM

Michelle - I buy mine in bulk at IKEA. We always have a few extras roaming around our closets! I can rent mine out...LOL!

BREE May 5, 2009, 1:12:00 PM

A bride could always order something like this from the incredible ETSY - to avoid the plastic hanger occurence.

Aletha | Pearls Events May 5, 2009, 1:25:00 PM

Bree - what a great find! I think Etsy sellers should pay you for pimping their goods :)

Jessica::Stella Event Design May 5, 2009, 1:52:00 PM

I couldn't agree more! I just bought a huge new box for my wedding day kit (pink of course!) so that I can fit more of these simple (but so useful) things like this in! Brides just have too much to remember that day, unless they think about it ahead of time! So put that dress on a nice hanger before you even take it for alterations, and you'll be set!

myDIYweddingday May 5, 2009, 1:59:00 PM

Great tip -- totally not something that would cross my mind until it was too late.

Kristina May 5, 2009, 9:58:00 PM

Vera Bradley has some cute hangers too! And I know how you love Vera now. :)

Amanda B. Young May 6, 2009, 1:58:00 AM

OH MY GOSH. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! This has been killing me. Seriously. My dress still had the cardboard in it keeping it in shape in the photos! YIKES!

I worked a friend's wedding recently and I was helping her get ready when I saw the photog start to take pics the same way. I shrieked, grabbed a nice wooden hanger from the hotel closet, put the dress on it, and went on my merry way. Why couldn't he do that? I don't get it!

Jen: JK Photography May 6, 2009, 7:28:00 PM

Totally agree! Great post!

Tabitha at Elite Bridal Concierge May 7, 2009, 10:10:00 AM

Ah yes, I agree that the plastic hangers don't seem to add to the beauty of the dress shot. I love the wooden hangers and use them in my own closet. However, I never once thought about adding a nice hanger to my emergency kit, but I will do so after reading this post. Excellent post!!

Jb May 8, 2009, 6:37:00 PM

shame on the photographer that doesn't have a VS hanger in their bag!

Lynn May 12, 2009, 10:12:00 AM

I think this is every wedding photographer's pet peeve. :)

I detest plastic hangers just for regular use. They are so annoying to me. The last time I went to IKEA (sadly months ago) I bought a couple stacks of the wooden ones for the exact same reason. The IKEA ones are flat enough to tuck into the back sleeve of my camera bag. And they are loads better to use with your clothes. They don't break, or have weird edges that catch on something and cause you to catapult the hanger across the room when you are rushing around getting ready in the morning.

Also, I hate satin plastic hangers, I think wooden ones are so much more elegant and understated, so the focus stays on the dress and not the hanger.

Jessica @ budgetsavvybride May 12, 2009, 5:44:00 PM

after seeing your tweet a few weeks ago I made sure to hang my dress on a pretty hanger before putting it in my garment bag!!! you saved me from this faux pas. Thanks, Aletha! ;)

Beth May 17, 2009, 7:16:00 PM

Eh, to each their own. I think using whatever hanger the dress came on makes the photo more "real life." And also, the "dress shot" pales in comparison to seeing the dress on the bride. It's a nice detail shot, but it's not the end-all and be-all of the day. JMO.

Sharing makes the blog world go 'round, but credit is essential. Content from the Pearls Events Blog may be partially reproduced, however proper credit and an active link must accompany any reproduced materials.

©2007-2014 Pearls Events. All Rights Reserved.