Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Welcome to Planning Season

I spent the weekend in Chicago visiting my insanely talented sister, Victoria. Upon arriving home Sunday evening, I decided to take Monday off for a fall cleaning spree, which is always therapeutic for me.

Oftentimes, people wonder what I do in the off season and I will be honest and say there isn't much down time. There are two seasons for Pearls Events - wedding season & planning season. Our final wedding of 2009 was October 3rd, and our first 2010 event is May 21st and I am already well into planning 2010 weddings with our clients.

While cleaning, I purged, filed and started checking things off the long to-do list. One thing I have been meaning to do for quite some time is update our personal photos around the house. We don't have too many frames (I'm not a fan of clutter), but there were a few that need to be updated. I worked on this personal project yesterday, which lead me to the question about wedding photos...

I cannot believe how quickly time flies. Greg and I have been married just shy of 2.5 years, and to tell you the truth, it seems like yesterday I was choosing a reception location, hiring a photographer, and narrowing down cake flavors.

Since our wedding photos are absolutely stunning, if I do say so myself, it is difficult to tuck them away in an album, but it's time to display some photos from after our wedding. We have fabulous shots from our July road trip which I will be picking up this morning.

So, my question to you is how long do you keep up the wedding photos? How many is too many?

And for your viewing pleasure, the photos that will replace what's currently on the walls. Please remember I am not a professional photographer by any means. These were shot by both me & Greg with our Nikon D60 and I used CS3 to color correct to the best of my ability!

On our way to Devil's Tower National Park we spotted a full rainbow in Wyoming

An old barn somewhere in Montana

A forgotten church in Montana & a waterfall in Glacier National Park

A glacier lily in Glacier National Park

Lake Louise in Banff National Park

Cora Anne Designs Nov 17, 2009, 8:11:00 AM

I sadly don't have any of our wedding pictures up. I got married just before digital photography took off, and so all of our pictures are the standard posed shots, and I just don't love them. I did have our wedding invite and program framed together though and have that hanging in our hallway.

I make up for our lack of good wedding pictures by having family pictures done each year, and our house is completely full of those! :)

Your vacation pictures are amazing!. I've been eyeing the D60 for a while now as my point-and-shoot just isn't cutting it anymore. Looks like it would be a worthwhile investment!

Vanessa Nov 17, 2009, 8:50:00 AM

These photos are incredible. It's a good question about how long to keep up wedding photos. I never seem to see any up in people's houses and this always surprises me. I guess I don't know yet, but I imagine that I'll always want at least one framed wedding photo up somewhere I and others can see.

april foster Nov 17, 2009, 9:20:00 AM

Gorgeous pictures!!!

kristen ~ k. holly photography Nov 17, 2009, 10:10:00 AM

Ooooh, very pretty Aletha!! I still have wedding pictures up, and we're at 3.5 years :)

Heather Nov 17, 2009, 10:16:00 AM

I love your pictures, especially the one of Lake Louise. I have to go there!

JenniferGrant Nov 17, 2009, 10:41:00 AM

We don't love most of our photos so we didn't hang many but it's been eight years and we still have a couple up. It was among the happiest days of our lives so I like the reminder. :) Especially on days when we're getting along less than splendidly (which is admittedly infrequent but still).
I say move them from prominence to somewhere you can enjoy them if you want fresh to be shared. :)

jessica lynn Nov 17, 2009, 10:43:00 AM

i struggle with the wedding picture question often. i actually don't have more than 1 of our wedding pictures displayed (shhh, dont tell our photographer!) can you believe it!!?!? me of all people. its hard not to display them, but the husband doesnt want pictures EVERYWHERE of just us on our wedding day, since we look the same in every picture, you know? ugh. I am thinking about putting a framed collage of them in my office and just calling it a day.

brit @ landlocked bride Nov 17, 2009, 10:47:00 AM

I think it's perfectly fine to display one or two, and start incorporating others. You don't want to forget about the importance of that special day!

Duane {orris photography} Nov 17, 2009, 1:06:00 PM

Those are some really nice pictures from a "non photographer"! I especially love the first shot of the rainbow and the one of the lily with the mountain behind it.. well done.

Lindsey Nartker Nov 17, 2009, 2:04:00 PM

Ehh.... now I want to go on vacation so I can take a few lovely pictures. I'm jealous.... hehe

Aletha | Pearls Events Nov 17, 2009, 7:53:00 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. We still have an 8x10 on display in the living room - in our signature frame. I did put a "fresh" image in there to update it a bit.

Jenna Nov 18, 2009, 10:22:00 AM

Beautiful photos Aletha! I love the one with the faint rainbow :) I have to say, I am quite excited about your first wedding of 2010 ;)

Rebecca Nov 21, 2009, 9:12:00 AM

these vacation shots are gorgeous, Aletha--the glacier lily, heart-stopping!