Thursday, May 13, 2010

Carnival Inspiration

Growing up in West Michigan meant waiting for the carnival to stop by each little town throughout summer. I hail from Marne, home of the oldest fair in the United States - yes, that's our only claim to fame. Besides the carnival, we also enjoyed tractor pulls, farm animals, delicious fried food, and the beer tent (when I was out of college, obviously). I still drag Greg along to the Berlin Fair each summer to get an elephant ear, and peek at the baby animals. Greg knows I am in a land of nostalgia, so he doesn't put up a big fight.

Lately, I've been seeing engagement sessions at carnivals and I LOVE all of the color, plus the fun, carefree photos. Yesterday I spotted some adorable carnival wedding invitations from Heidi at Zenadia Designs I wanted to share, so I'm posting everything I've been seeing lately as my tribute to West Michigan carnivals!

Mindy Leigh captured one of the earliest West Michigan carnivals in Holland, Michigan during Tulip Time last week.

Ashley Rath May 13, 2010, 9:19:00 AM

It's easy to take such great pictures with an already amazing backdrop! I love how colorful these are. Thanks for sharing!

Sage & Style May 13, 2010, 10:31:00 AM

Is it me or do those Ferris wheel seats look like colorful macaroons?! Lovely post!

Megan May 13, 2010, 12:49:00 PM

What a fun idea!

Sharon May 13, 2010, 5:34:00 PM

Great photos and posting! Thanks for sharing! I have to ask though...what's an "elephant ear"?

Aletha | Pearls Events May 14, 2010, 9:13:00 AM

@Sharon - an elephant ear is just fried dough, with tons of cinnamon & sugar on it! A classic fair food in the Midwest :)

Heidi @ Zenadia May 18, 2010, 12:42:00 PM

Thanks for posting my carnival invites Aletha!! =)